I have been recruited to run in a half marathon in St. George at the end of January. I did not volunteer or ask for more information about this race. I didn't even join in on a conversation about this race. Rather, I was at our neighborhood 'Fabulous Friday' get together and a lady came up to me, asked if I liked to run, to which I responded with a vehement, "No." Really, I like running about as much as I like scrapbooking. Not. At. All. :) Anyway, she then continued to tell me that was okay, because there were a lot of people just starting out, and that I had more than four months to train for it, and it was going to be such a fun weekend down in St. George because they were renting a house, so it wouldn't be very expensive, and that they did long runs every Saturday and she would see me then. (I know that was a long, run on on sentence, but it was like the one-sided conversation, I couldn't get a word in edgewise!) Then later that evening, she was trying to convince another lady to join in the fun when she announced to the entire table that I was going to do it too, so this person could do it as well. The table congratulated me for making such a goal.
So you can see now, I don't really have much of a choice in the matter. I guess I am going to run the half marathon, and I figured if I had a lot of people asking me how training was going and were expecting me to do it, it would help me be more accountable, and not back down.
It has been a week since I started training with my first run being 3 miles. That was a big mistake because that was the furthest I have EVER gone at one time, and I hadn't done anything for a very long time. I was very sore, but after running 4 times last week, I feel a lot better. We ran 3 miles again on Saturday and I can't believe how far I was able to go without stopping for a small walk break.
I still don't love running, but it is fun to see how much progress I've made in only a week. There is also one lady who stays with me and we talk for most of the time, and that is what makes it bearable! I also went and bought new running shoes on Saturday so I'm excited to try them out.
So, that is what my focus will be for the next 4 months. Sorry if you get bored as I update my progress, but this is my obsession right now! Thanks for reading!
6 comments:
I can't tell you how impressed I am that you even set this goal! I'd never be so brave. You can do it!
Well...you know my take on the whole fitness, exercise, goal setting thing and I think it's AWESOME! And obsession is right! Once you get started and you start feeling amazing, you are now on the band wagon, and it's hard to come off. Way to go Kourtney! Sometimes all it takes is a little push. This will be an incredible journey no doubt.:)
Ha ha- I wouldn't call that a little push! But good for you that you're jumping in with both feet (even if you were dragged into it)! :0) I'm excited to hear your progress...maybe it will motivate me to do something!
That's awesome!! Good luck!
Oh you are going to love it! If you ever need a partner I would be more than happy to run with you, whenever. I just load up the kids and take them along too. You can do it!
I'm so excited for you!! I NEVER thought I could run 13 miles either, but it comes one step at a time. And it feels AWESOME at the finish line, no matter what your time is!!! Good luck with the training, I'll be thinking about you on the treadmill:)
Post a Comment